Substance that have addictive properties are quite numerous. However, these numerous substances have not been tried by most people. Of people who have tried them, abuse and dependence that does not really follow. The reason is due to the differences on people in terms of vulnerability to substance-related disorders matter. This can be proved by many theories .
Deficiencies on morality was seen as the reason as to why people get addicted to drugs and alcohol.. Drug and alcohol addicts were simply perceived as weak, bad people who would not exert control over their impulses. In the 1960S, this view has been replaced by the disease model of addiction. The disease model of addiction states that drug and alcohol addiction is an incurable physical disease just like epilepsy or diabetes. This model has been supported fairly by research on the genetics and biology of drug and alcohol addiction, but there clearly are social and psychological forces that make some people more prone to these disorders than are others. There are biological, social, and psychological factors that increase people’s vulnerability to substance abuse and dependence.
When it comes to theories, one of the most prominent in the literature that discusses substance-related disorders is the biological theory. This can be attributed to three reasons. First, there are many theorists that point the vulnerability to these disorders to genetics. Second, people who become substance dependent or abusive may react differently physiologically to substances than those who become dependent or abusive. Third, some theorists have argued that drug and alcohol addiction really represents an underlying biological depression. These are drug and alcohol facts which can aid us to understand how it has rise in our lives and in our society. There are still many drug and alcohol facts to help and warn us against its effects. Let us try to know them one by one.
• Effects of addictive drugs can never be foreseen.
• Drug addiction can lead to death.
• Drug addiction can be treated via drug rehab.
• The production and selling of drugs are illegal in most countries.
• There are many over the counter drugs that are abused by many people.
• There are differences in drug tolerance.
• The major effects of alcohol are bad on most aspects.
• A depressant on one’s nervous system is how alcohol works on our body.
• Alcohol has long term effects .
• A small amount of alcohol can have a great effect on an individual.
• Alcohol should never be consumed with medications.
• Alcohol can be passed genetically.
• The exact amount of how alcohol can affect the body is different for every individual.
• Consuming alcohol together with medications can have serious effects.
• Removing alcohol from the household can lessen a family member to develop alcoholism.
• Alcohol can cause major damage to the liver.
• A person should eat before ingesting alcohol.
• Prolonged alcohol use can cause weight gain.
• Alcohol use has been the major preceding factor of a crime.
• There are more people who are addicted to alcohol than people who are addicted to drugs.
• Alcohol can be a poison to children.
Information on drug and alcohol facts are numerous and important for everyone.