What’s Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is one of the effects that may derive from drinking an excessive amount of alcohol within a short-period of time. Alcohol poisoning is usually a result of binge drinking; the intake of five or more drinks in a short period of time. Whenever we binge drink this way, or drink too excessively for our own devices, the liver cannot process most of the alcohol that has been taken into the system fast enough. This causes the excess alcohol to become released into the blood stream, which then flows to the brain, affecting the neurochemistry. Many functions can be affected by this in the body. A lot of alcohol may lead to the suppression of one or maybe more vital systems, like the breathing, since alcohol is a depressant. Alcohol is usually metabolized in the liver at the rate of 1 ounce every 90 minutes. This might be the equivalent of a two-ounce mixed drink, one beer or perhaps a regular-size glass of wine. Here is the rate that a healthy liver functions. Any type of liver disease could be able to metabolize alcohol much more slowly.

Alcohol accumulation can lead to respiratory failure, liver failure, or heart failure, and represses normal reactions. As an example, lots of people with alcohol poisoning are so intoxicated that they do not have a gag re-flex, which can cause them to asphyxiate independently vomit if they regurgitate while they’re unconscious.

What is alcohol poisoning? Just how do we recognize it? What do we do when we recognize it? There are lots of different symptoms that point to an incident of alcohol poisoning. These symptoms may possibly include:

* Confusion and stupor

* Vomiting

* Seizures

* Slowed breathing or irregular breathing

* Skin that becomes blue-tinged or soft

* Lowered body heat, even hypothermia

* Unconsciousness with little to no success of awakening

If these symptoms are observed in someone you know, you should seek medical attention immediately. Alcohol poisoning treatment includes breathing service and administration of fluids and vitamins to remove alcohol in the system.

It’s important to keep the person with alcohol poisoning sitting in one place if they’re conscious, until medical assistance arrives. Do not let them have coffee or caffeine as this results in further contamination. Give them water when they may take it. Turn them on their side; do not allow them to rest on their backs, If they’re passed out.

Sufficiently high quantities of alcohol in the body could cause coma or death. Acute alcohol poisoning is considered a medical emergency.




You’re Not Alone

Posted in Official Meth Helpline  |  Leave a comment

Leave a reply